and Online Educator
Joel has over 22 years of experience in managing teams, overseeing websites, blogs, online communities, live events, and brand lifecycles. He has broad travel experience and enjoys working with small to medium-sized organizations.
“I’m at my best when I am managing people and we’re producing something of value: conferences, experiences, companies.”
I help small businesses get 360-degree tours on their websites in stand-alone form or via Google Maps as a Trusted Street View Photographer.
A bootstrapped startup making it easy for craft drinkers to connect at the source of their favorite beers and spirits.
- BreweryFinder.org has nearly 8,000 breweries listed covering all of the United States and Canada.
- Brewery.Work is a weekly email and job board for brewery jobs.
- DistilleryFinder.org is currently in pre-launch mode.
Parenting blog focuses on stories, product reviews, sponsored content and event coverage.
Blogger/Brand Ambassador (2012 – Present)
- This side-project currently averages 27,000 visits monthly.
- Brand ambassadorships and sponsorship arrangements have included Starbucks, Best Buy, DreamWorks, Netflix, Denny’s Diner, Applebee’s, Sears, PBS, Domain.ME, KIND Snacks, Lee Jeans, Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry, Stride Rite, LEGO, Graco Baby, Little Remedies, Naked Juice, Clorox and more.
Union Church of Hinsdale:
United Church of Christ congregation in an affluent western Chicago suburb.
Project Manager (2006 – 2018)
- Responsible for editorial, graphic design & print work covering newsletters, emails, blog posts, locally targeted advertising, technology support, audio/video editing, and website and social media management.
- Working in fast-paced & adverse environments with multiple points of contact.
- Website recognized as a Top 10 site in the United Church of Christ out of over 5,100 churches in the denomination.
Five Iron Frenzy:
Moderately successful rock/ska band from Denver, CO.
Project Manager (2008 – 2016)
- Promoted “Engine Of A Million Plots” (the band’s rebirth album after a 10-year break). It hit #9 on the Billboard Independent charts.
- Ran Kickstarter campaign that raised $100,000 within the first 24-hours after launch.
Digital Marketing Consultant (2006 – 2015)
The freelance moniker I used for various social media, marketing, blogs, websites, podcasts, crowdfunding campaigns, and product launches. Clients were mostly local businesses, but also included a few musical acts like Five Iron Frenzy, MxPx, mewithoutYou, and others.
Small non-profit focused on international humanitarian aid projects.
Freelancer (1997 – 2011)
- Traveled regularly to over a dozen countries for various relief and aid projects.
- Managed all online communication for volunteer groups while traveling.
- Organized, ran and documented live events for up to 1,100 people.
- Spearheaded fundraising efforts for the organization’s various mission projects.
IL B.A.S.S.E.T. Certified (2017)
Consumer Marketing Certificate – College of DuPage
Social Media Marketing Certification – Hootsuite Media Inc
Associates Degree in Marketing – College of DuPage (In Progress)
Adobe Creative Cloud, MS Office, CSS, HTML, PHP, WordPress, CoSchedule, Buffer, HootSuite, Customer Service, Trade Shows, Conferences, Project Management, Remote Work.
Public speaking & presentations, Flexibility, Lifelong learner, Integrity Friendly, Enthusiastic, Confident, Accountable, Reliable, Resourceful, Self-disciplined, Agreeable, Hard-Working, Creative, Supportive, Helpful, Strong-Work Ethic.